Tuesday, January 17, 2012

4th Grade Coil Pots

In the beginning of the year I had my 2nd graders create coil pots with the coils laid flat on top of each other.  For my 4th graders I wanted something a bit more challenging, so instead of having them lay the coils flat, i had them create a ring where the coils where standing.  I really, really, really really, emphasized the importance of scoring, slipping, and not just sticking, but smoothing the pieces together to avoid breakage.  I slow fired each load and I was enormously lucky that not one out of the 100 coil pots I fired broke!  I experimented with different glazes including Nasco and Aamco which I had leftover from previous years and was pleasantly surprised at how bright and shiny the finished colors looked.  Next I'm going to have the 3rd graders create clay cupcakes in the style of Wayne Thiebaud and use Mayco's Stroke and Coat glaze, which another art teacher in my district swears by. 










No comments: