Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Taco Fish


As an alternative to the pinch pot fishes I had created with 4 of my 5 classes, I came across an interesting alternative.  Normally, I don't deviate from the lesson outcomes too much between classes in the same grade once I start teaching them but because I wasn't entirely happy with the pinch pot fish I decided to try 'taco' fish with 1 of my classes.  
First you flatten about 2-3 packages of model magic into a pancake.  Then you stuff a piece of tissue in the center and fold the top over like a taco.  You pinch the top and can create fins, spikes, dips, or curves onto the fishes 'back'.  Next, you roll eyes, then a coil for the mouth and pinch the back of the taco for the tail.  I felt these were much more 'fish'-like and the students were much more engaged making these than the pinch pots. Plus, every fish was able to stand upright, unlike the pinch pots which weebled and wobbled and seemed to structurally frustrate some of my students.  Although I'm sure some of the problem was the model magic, it was so soft the pot kept sinking ...Oh well, live and learn!


And yes, these did get painted after they had dried.  :) Who wants a plain white fish anyways~!



No comments: