Monday, February 3, 2014

2nd grade texture-scapes


I had seen this lesson awhile ago and wanted to do it for some time.  I have a bunch of plastic texture plates for rubbing and being that between last year and this year my second graders have studied landscapes, cityscapes, and seascapes, I figured now was as good a time as any to have them try out this lesson.  I basically told them to draw either of the three "scapes" mentioned above using large simple shapes and then showed them how to use the side of a crayon to create a rubbing.  We discussed the difference between visual texture and physical texture and then I sent them on their way.  

I gave each table some scrap paper to test out the textures before they used them on their final piece as some textures transferred better than others on the white drawing paper.  Ideally, to get the clearest texture rubbings you'd you tissue paper but I was afraid making them create a whole landscape on tissue paper would end up with artwork that looked like the kids had put it through a shredder!





No comments: