Thursday, July 24, 2014

Maternity Leave

The past 2 months have been a whirlwind of excitement.  Last month I gave birth to my first child, a healthy baby boy, and am officially out on maternity leave until November!  
When I've been able to get a few minutes to myself, which has become a precious commodity these days, I have been keeping myself busy with some creative projects.  I'm going to try and post them until I start back and work and can return to posting my usual project pictures.  In the meantime, here's a wreath I made for my front door.  I realize that the colors I chose are Christmas ones, but I wanted the wreath to match the flowers in my flower boxes.

Here was the inspiration:



Wax begonia's, sweet potato vine, ornamental fern, and king coleus. 





Here's the wreath:


I used a minimal amount of hot glue, my door faces south and gets pretty intense sunlight for most of the day. I used hot glue to assemble the very first door wreath I made last year and it pretty much melted apart and was irreparable!  Now I either sew on the parts or use t-pins.   I can get away with a little hot glue but it has to be so sparse so it doesn't run and glob up on the wreath.  I got everything from Micheal's craft store and it cost me about $15, Make sure you either print or take a snapshot of the weekly coupon and use your teacher discount when you purchase anything from a Micheal's or A.C.Moore stores.  I stop there so often it's amazing they don't know me by know (plus it doesn't help that I have them both about a mile away from my house!)

Here are some of the steps I used to assemble it: 





The flowers had silver twist-tie like fasteners on the back so I used those to attach them to the wreath.  The silver flowers were old hair clips I recycled, and the strawberries I cut and stitched and then attached with a wee bit of hot glue.  Viola my Christmas-looking summer flower inspired wreath, lol! :)

And here is my best creation yet: my lil' boy!!!




No comments: