This project came out so adorable I had to blog about it! I didn't teach this one though, this came from my colleague who teaches with me at my school. She did it with her first graders. The whole project took about 3 to 4-40 minute art periods. The turtles themselves were created using white low fire Amaco clay and instead of using slip to attach the pieces, I shared a great tip that I got from Cassie Stephens blog using small cups of water and toothbrushes. My colleague tried using the toothbrushes and it worked really well. The first batch of turtles were glazed with Mayco Stroke & Coat glazes, but the second batch were simply painted with tempera. Both the glaze and the Tempra work equally well on the turtles because of the designs that were painted over them. The finishing details were added using acrylic paint markers.