Pages

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Last Project Post of the School Year...Laurel Burch Cats and Dogs



I must've changed this project 4 times before finally settling on this as the final project. Initially I wanted the project to be a tissue paper collage with a black foam printed cat/dog drawing over it but upon realizing I didn't have any black printing ink (and not wanting to use tempera), I then decided to have the kids print in a color.  I tried it out first, thankfully, didn't like the fact that there was no contrast between the background and the print, and then changed the project again.
I decided to go with bubble wrap over the tissue paper to give the kids some type of exposure to the printing process and then gave them 6x9" paper to practice drawing cats or dogs in the style of Laurel Burch. After a session or two of practice drawings, I was so impressed at how cute they were coming out I had the kids use them as their final pictures.  The drawings were then cut and glued onto the background and voila the project was complete.  The overall size is 9x12", which is a little smaller than I usually have the kids work, but the results came out cute nonetheless.
 





Monday, June 2, 2014

Sunflowers in 4 Mediums

 This lesson was taken from the blog "Kid's Artist's".  It was originally posted as a 5th grade lesson done in 5 mediums, but I adapted it for my first and second graders in 4 mediums.  The paper is 9x24" folded in half, and then in quarters.  I had the kiddies use crayon, marker, watercolor, and oil pastel.  This was a great end of year tie-in to the planting they had done in their classrooms for our brand new school greenhouse using sunflower seeds. We also learned a little bit about van Gogh and his sunflower still-life paintings.






Sunday, June 1, 2014

4th and 5th grade perspective cities



A special shout-out to the blog: "SmArt Class" for sharing this lesson and inspiring me to try it!  This ended up being the last project before my maternity leave and it was a great way to end the school year for my fourth and fifth graders.  The technical aspect of the project kept them engaged and the setup and cleanup was minimal.  The kids also really loved the idea of using the markers with water and a paintbrush as a kind of watercolor paint.  I really pushed them to make these as creative as possible, whether they were creating a fictional or realistic landscape, I wanted them to add as many personal details as possible.  Here's a few pictures from in progress works and finished ones. 








Saturday, May 31, 2014

Clay Slab Owls 3rd grade


These owls were "easy peasy", as the kids said, to make.  From start to finish it took 3-45 minute periods. The first day was spent rolling out a slab circle, adding texture to the body using old marker caps, and then folding over the wings and head.  The second day I showed the students how to score and slip the clay to attach details like eyes, feathers, a beak, and anything else they wanted on their owl.  They could also use a wooden pin tool to draw on any other details.  Lastly, I had them put a hole in the top to string the owls for hanging and after bisque firing, we glazed them using a bunch of Amaco glazes. 

Just as a  side note, last year I used mostly Mayco Stroke and Coat and this year I tried a bunch of different Amaco glazes, overall I find them of pretty equal substance, but the Mayco is a smoother, easier to manage glaze. With the Amaco, although the colors were bright, some of the glazes clumped, settled, and didn't really maintain their consistency, making them hard to pour. 

My 3rd graders loved this project and were super excited to show their owls off to their parents at our May open house.  Next September I'm keeping them for a showcase to display for the start of the school year so I'll follow up with some pictures then!





Monday, May 5, 2014

1st Grade Robots

This lesson was taken from Deep Space Sparkle. Click HeRe to see her original project.
I LOVE this project.  I used 11x15" pieces of cardboard and when I ran out of that I used oak tag.  The cardboard works a little better as a backing but the oak tag is passable in a pinch.
On day 1 the kids did the background:  For it we used two primary colors and then cups dipped in white paint to create circular shaped stamps.
On day 2  For inspirationa and ideas for the children, I used painter and illustrator Eric Joyner, his robot and doughnut paintings are fabulous and really got the kids attention. After looking at a few of his paintings,  I put out up a bunch of boxes and cereal box pieces I had previously cut, and let the kids go to town.


On Day 3   I passed out Sax brand metallic paints in copper, silver, gold and brass and they painted their robots.  In some instances, the students were able to assemble, glue, and paint their robots in one period.

On the last day I gave out a bowl of tin foil pieces, buttons, google eyes, pipe cleaner pieces (from another lesson), foam shapes, and Sharpies and they added details to their robots.
Too cute!!