Sunday, January 25, 2009

Chinese New Year (one of these days)





Happy Year of the Ox! (For all you oxen out there!) I did a great lesson with our ESL teacher, making Chinese New Year Lion and Dragon Masks using paper plates, markers, and various embellishments. For our 5 and 6 year old's we provided a face template to color in. I very rarely support the use of coloring handouts in any art lesson I do, but since I wasn't doing this one alone, and the ESL teacher bought the supplies (and the handouts) I went along with it. For pre-k the templates are a great way to make pretty impressive looking masks, but for regular elementary grades I much prefer them to draw their own. Here are a few of the results! As a follow up activity I had the kids make construction paper lanterns and two GIANT dragon 'parade floats', which were really one sided dragon banners that I hung in the junior recreation room. They were done in primary colors only and each student made a body part that I then connected together to make the whole peice. I'll have pictures up of that tomorrow or the next day. I really wanted to get into NYC to see the parade but yet again, it doesn't look like it's going to happen, oh well, maybe one of these days...

No comments: