Thursday, December 10, 2009

2nd Grade "I and the Village-after Marc Chagall






I got this lesson off of the incredible art department website (love it!) In the original lesson the teacher did it on 18x24" paper which I thought would be way too big for my students, especially because this was the first lesson of the year I did with them. Instead I had them work on 14x17" paper which was just challenging enough for them. They needed a lot of encouragement to cover the entire paper with color, many times proclaiming they were done when they weren't. I also found they need a pretty thorough exploration of a 'dreamscape' and why they had to turn their paper multiple times throughout their drawing. Intrinsically they wanted to keep the paper the 'right' way, so I had to work to break them of their conventions. Next time I"m going to show them other images besides Chagall's 'I and the Village' to help reinforce some concepts. I'm also going to use the images as the lesson opener and closer, which will also help reinforce concepts. In the incredible art department website the teacher says that her 'students jumped right in, and loved it' but my students are a bit more skeptical so, it all depends on the needs and dynamic of your kids. Overall thought the lesson went well. Like all lessons, it'll be even better the second time around.

Here's the link to the original lesson:

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/stephanie-chagall.htm

No comments: