Monday, March 29, 2010

3rd Grade Van Gogh Inspired Still-Life



The original idea for this lesson was solely based on collage. I loved the way the outcomes looked and so I decided to try it with my 3rd graders. However, I was very skeptical because I had my suspicions that they really didn't have the attention span to collage all the surface area and sure enough, the tediousness of the task left almost all of them not wanting to do the project. They had a really hard time understanding the point of collaging at all and became very frustrated over trying to make the pieces of construction paper 'fit' into the areas they had drawn out. It seemed not matter how much I emphasized them not trying to make it all perfect they were too preoccupied with the image looking 'right' and became very discouraged (and we all know when a class becomes disengaged it equals management problems). So, instead of abandoning the lesson, which I hate doing, I improvised and decided to let them finish up any of the white spaces with oil pastels. To my surprise, they really enjoyed it, and the results came out beautiful. Phew, it was a learning experience for both me and my students!



No comments: