Monday, April 5, 2010

The Rainbow Fish



As part of our overall school program each we have a character development program where each month every classroom teacher receives a book based on a theme that is encouraged throughout that month. Some of the books we've used this year are 'How Full is Your Bucket', 'The Principals New Clothes',and for the month of August the book was 'The Rainbow Fish' by Marcus Pfister. The theme that correlates wit the book is humility and sharing. I try to incorporate literature into most of my art lessons and some books lend themselves more easily to this task. Although I will say, at the elementary level most books can be used for some sort of art activity. In his case I had the students follow the same steps for the Eric Carle book, creating an underwater background first followed by a watercolor wash resist over the crayon drawing. I then found a fish template and had the kindergartners color, cut, and glue their finish on adding glitter at the end to make some of the fish's gills sparkle. Lastly I put on a googly eye and viola very cute and colorful rainbow fish!

No comments: