Monday, April 25, 2011

1st Grade O'Keeffe inspired flowers

Perfect for Spring, I thought it'd be nice to have my first graders do some O'Keeffe inspired art. Heavily revisited in art education, particularly at the elementary level, O'Keeffe's bold and vibrant flowers are almost always used at some part in everyone's art curriculum, and almost always, with the finished results producing beautiful childrens art. To help prove my point, here are a few images I found by simply google imaging the words 'O'Keeffe art lessons for kids':




To add to the repertoire of O'Keeffe inspired lessons I decided to try my own by using Elmer's glue on white paper. I found the trick to making this lesson work was making sure the glue lines were really thick and by having the students outline the inner and outer edges of the dried glue with a black sharpie. Doing this gave the work a more polished look. Initially I was going to have the students leave the backgrounds white, but I changed my mind last minute and had them add at least 3 different designs (after going over what a design is with them) in 3 different colors to their piece. I love the results!







2 comments:

Chesterbrook Academy Elementary said...

O"Keeffe is one of my favorite artists.

Your students understood the importance of scale. The colors are beautiful.

Great project

Katie Morris said...

I really enjoy your blog so I've given you the Versatile Blogger award! Check out http://artteacheradventures.blogspot.com/2011/04/versatile-bloggerannouncement.html for details!