Monday, July 1, 2013

New Front Door Wreath

 

Here it is, my updated door wreath for the summer. For me the hardest part of making door wreaths is that I have a south facing house and so my door gets his by sun pretty much all day. With my last wreath (old post here) I used string a mostly hot glue to adhere everything together, Unbeknownst to me at the time, that was a big mistake! Fast forward a few months and everything on the wreath looked like it was melting! :(

Anyways this wreath took me about an hour and I didn't use any glue at all, the whole thing was done with a needle and thread, tiny sewing pins and very thin silver floral wire.
All the materials came from Michael's, make sure if you are a teacher you show them your teacher ID and you can get an extra 15% off.. In total the materials cost be about 20 bucks.  Can't beat a custom one-of-a-kind wreath for that price!
Below are the items I used:

Burlap Fabric Trim- I used the 6.99 package I found in the floral decorating aisle instead of the 9.99 package that was in the ribbon aisle.  I think the ribbon aisle package had more burlap but you don't need that much to wrap a wreath.  I still have 1/2 a package left.
 Burlap Fabric Trim, large
Wooden Letters- I like the pre-finished ones, there's no way I could get the paint that smooth if I did it myself. 
Thin Floral Wire- any thin bendable wire, about as thick as a twist tie without the paper coating.  My wire was thin enough to cut easily with a scissor.
Sewing Pins-I used these to anchor things in place. I used short round-head pins like the ones you use for baste stitching thin fabrics, but in hindsight, small sized T-pins may have worked even better, especially if you're using fabrics that have a large weave like burlap.
Scissors
Needle/Thread
Scrap Ribbon 
Flower Embellishments- I found these in the scrapbooking department.  They had tons of different sizes, brands, and colors and they lay nice and flat when you sew them on. 







Posted by Picasa

No comments: