Thursday, February 17, 2011

Birthday hats...don't you just love tissue paper!








It's amazing what you can make with white drawing paper and tissue paper! The wonderful ESL teacher at my school runs 'International Week' every year the Monday through Friday before February break. The entire downstairs multipurpose room (which is the size of a small gymnasium) gets turned into a 'museum' with artifacts, art, clothing, and literature from different cultures, representing by our PTA, from around the world. This years theme was birthdays around the world, and so I did my part by helping put together a small display case near the front lobby of the school. I also had some students create a huge invitation card made from the cardboard my new kiln came in, that was placed in the 'museum's' entryway. Each student that created a hat used the colors of his or her flag to decorate it. Albeit a small contribution, the students really enjoyed making their birthday hats, and despite giving up 2 weeks of lunch time, I really enjoyed the process too! Seeing what a great event international week is at my school, maybe next year I'll do something a bit more involved, we'll see....

No comments: