Monday, January 27, 2014

4th grade color wheel compositions

I was at an elementary art show some time ago and saw a lesson similar to this that was done in middle school.  Since I came across it I've wanted to try it and I'm glad I did because they came out really nice!  This was one of those lessons where after teaching the first day of it you think to yourself "I don't know if this one's going to work out...." Initially when the kids were up to the painting part of the project, I demonstrated how to mix a "true" secondary color (no white or black) and then how to create the tint and shade of that color.  I described the dark colors as "hungry" colors and warned the kids that when mixing light and dark colors to use much less of the hungry colors than the light colors because they'll eat them up.  Many students had trouble mixing tints and shades on one color wheel so I ended up making a chart and differentiating the lesson by giving the kids the option of doing a color wheel with no tints/ shades.  a wheel with the color and tints, or a wheel with all three.  The differentiation saved the lesson because it gave them the ability to be successful at their own ability level.  I can't wait to hang these on the front bulletin board, they're going to look great :)









No comments: