Friday, January 31, 2014

Grade 2 Chihuly Inspired Clay Macchia


Dale Chihuly is one of the most, if not the most, famous contemporary glass artists living today.  Any time I've ever show my students his artwork, they've always been captivated by it.  The clay macchia we created were part of a two project unit based on his work.  I took a bit of a chance with this idea.  I wasn't sure the finished results would really look enough like the glass macchia but so far they are very cute. 
To make them, I had the kids roll out a slab clay and then use a wooden pin tool to "cut" a wavy shape out of the slab. They then pressed the slab into a plastic bowl and bent the edges in and out to create waves. When they glazed their sculptures, I really pushed to make sure they covered EVERY spot of clay with at least 3 coats of glaze.  In order for these to look like the authentic macchia, they had to be bright and colorful.  I have 4 more classes to fire but the keypad on my kiln just broke :( so as soon as I get it fixed I'll have more pictures. 






No comments: