ArtMuse67

Musings about the importance and impact of art and art education in the 21st century.

Musings about the importance of art and art education

5th Grade Architecutre and Design Drwings

♠ Posted by ArtMuse in at 6:54 PM

 I got this lesson from Deep Space Sparkle.  I  didn't purchase the booklet but the image that was on the site inspired me.  Instead of studying Russian architecture or St. Basil's Cathedral, I showed the students different some different features of architecture.  These variations included turrets, minarets, domes, onion domes, and spires.  I reviewed the difference between 2-dimensional names for shapes and 3-dimensional names for shapes.  For instance, when discussing 3-d objects instead of circular you say spherical, instead of rectangular you say cylindrical, and instead of triangular you would say conical or cone-shaped.  I also had the students study positive and negative space and as a group mini project create an interesting positive and negative composition with black and white paper.  The positive/negative activity was a precursor to the designs they would later incorporate onto their buildings, which were done in black Sharpie.



Here are some of the images I showed the students as inspiration: 

 




0 comments: