Friday, December 30, 2011

5th Grade Architecutre and Design Drwings


 I got this lesson from Deep Space Sparkle.  I  didn't purchase the booklet but the image that was on the site inspired me.  Instead of studying Russian architecture or St. Basil's Cathedral, I showed the students different some different features of architecture.  These variations included turrets, minarets, domes, onion domes, and spires.  I reviewed the difference between 2-dimensional names for shapes and 3-dimensional names for shapes.  For instance, when discussing 3-d objects instead of circular you say spherical, instead of rectangular you say cylindrical, and instead of triangular you would say conical or cone-shaped.  I also had the students study positive and negative space and as a group mini project create an interesting positive and negative composition with black and white paper.  The positive/negative activity was a precursor to the designs they would later incorporate onto their buildings, which were done in black Sharpie.



Here are some of the images I showed the students as inspiration: 

 




No comments: